Consent to Travel

What Is A Consent Letter to Travel?

The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) recommends that if a person younger than 18 is travelling alone or with only one parent or another adult, they have their parents’ consent for such travel.

A notarized letter of consent to travel is proof of such consent.

The DFAIT strongly recommends that children travelling alone or with one parent carry a consent letter for each and every trip abroad.

The DFAIT further recommends that the “consent letter to travel” be notarized by a notary public so that the validity of the letter will not be questioned.

This consent letter may be required by foreign authorities among other additional country-specific entry requirements. You should contact the representatives of the country or countries to be visited by the child to ensure that you have the most up-to-date information regarding their specific entry requirements as permission to enter another country is the sole prerogative of that country.

We also strongly recommend that you contact the transportation company (airline, train, bus, etc.) in order to observe any additional policies that they might have in place.

A notary public can notarize this consent document for you.

Who Must Attend the Notary Public’s Office?

The parent(s) granting consent must attend the notary public’s office with valid photo identification.

More Information

Please note that other documents may be required in addition to notarized consent documents. Visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s website before you travel to ensure that you have all of your necessary documentation.

Sample Consent Letter to Travel

Here you can find a sample of a consent letter.